Advanced Digital and Professional Training (ADaPT)
Advanced Digital and Professional Training (ADaPT) is a skills development and work placement program that bridges the employment gap for final semester students and recent grads (having graduated three years ago or less). ADaPT Atlantic is a joint collaboration between Ryerson University’s Diversity Institute and Saint Mary’s University.
Founded by Ryerson University’s Diversity Institute, it was initially designed to help graduates in humanities and social sciences transition to employment.
Today, new graduates of any background may partake in ADaPT – in fact, the interdisciplinary nature of the cohorts add to its value. ADaPT ensures training in today’s most in-demand skills such as digital literacy and communications. Since 2014, the ADaPT program has trained more than 840 participants.
ADaPT provides training in digital literacy, communications, research, business financials, career skills, and more, and helps new grads compete for paid work placements (not guaranteed).
ADaPT is offered via two streams: Online (self-directed learning) and Virtual Classroom (instructor-led). Preference is not guaranteed, though we will aim to accommodate your selection.
Delivered through asynchronous learning – participants will have access to a series of online modules for self-guided learning. Although this learning is self-paced and accessible at any time of day, participants are given a deadline for the completion of each module.
Once a week, a virtual check-in session is held for all participants. These group sessions are facilitated by a staff member and hosted via Zoom. These are an opportunity for participants to clarify their learning and to network amongst each other.
Virtual Classroom (instructor-led)
Delivered virtually, on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings – participants attend live workshops via Zoom in combination with access to online modules. The virtual instructor-led workshops offer hands-on exercises and opportunities to practice with peers. Each workshop may include tasks or assignments to be completed prior to or after each session. The online modules solidify the foundational knowledge of each topic.
Participants will attend a career support session with a Career Counsellor.
ADaPT is a competitive program with a rigorous screening process. Participants must demonstrate a commitment to complete the training and actively participate in all programming. Participants are responsible for actively seeking placement opportunities while leveraging the support of the program.
Applications will be evaluated based on academic and professional achievements, as well as personal motivation.
The application process for ADaPT is as follows:
- Confirm that you meet our eligibility criteria. Applicants must be a post-secondary student in their final semester of study OR a recent graduate (within the last three years). Both undergraduate and graduate students/alumni are welcome to apply. All last-year students and alumni of post-secondary institutes in the Atlantic provinces are also eligible for ADaPT.
- Complete the application.
- If you’re selected for an interview, our team will contact you to schedule a 15-20 minute virtual meeting via Zoom.
- Following the interview, we will inform you via email if you have been selected to join ADaPT. Successful candidates will be provided with onboarding and orientation materials during this process.
Applications for ADaPT Atlantic are now closed. Please join the waitlist here: ADaPT Waitlist
The program runs February 18th to April 22nd inclusive.
*It is recommended to have a Google account to access this Google form and make this application process smoother.
As an ADaPT participant, you can expect
- Get 70+ hours of workshop training in HTML coding, Microsoft Office, SEO, Data Analytics, Adobe Suite and more.
- Gain skills in employment, leadership, business financials, personal branding and communications.
- Enhance your employment prospects. Get career-ready with preparation for the interview process.
Paid work placement
- ADaPT works with program participants to match graduates with work placements from top employers.
- Placement is not guaranteed.
Over 840 participants
have received training through ADaPT since 2014
ADaPT taught me how to navigate the modern workplace, pushed me to develop myself personally, and open a path for me to shine. I came out of every single training session enriched, and rapidly found myself, not pushed, but growing into my professional life. I was surrounded by the most talented peers and passionate instructors, and through them rediscovered my hope for a better future.