Work Smarts is an employment wage subsidy funded by Service Canada and facilitated by the Saint Mary’s University Entrepreneurship Centre. We are pleased to provide federal wage subsidies to employers in Nova Scotia.
Through this program, we provide wage subsidies to employers to assist their hiring of a recent graduate. Last year, we placed over 60 recent graduates in career related positions with small and medium-sized enterprises. Through our partnership with Service Canada, we have been able to offer each employer in the program up to $7,750 in funding to help grow their business while providing valuable experience to new graduates.
The intake period for Work Smarts 2019 has ended. Please subscribe to our mailing list for updates regarding future wage subsidy programs.
Work Smarts Provides
- A 50% wage subsidy, up to a $8.50/hr subsidy for up to 26 weeks of work experience
- Assistance with job posting and short listing of candidates
- Training and mentoring for participants to enhance their work experience
- Advice and monitoring throughout the program to ensure participants and employers are receiving the best possible experience
- Fit under the NAICS High Demand Sector classification for Atlantic region
- Coverage of MERC (mandatory employment related costs) – CPP, EI, Vacation Pay
- Provide a 50% wage top up (to match the subsidized portion)
- Allow participant to attend training as required (two days at beginning, one day toward program end)
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30 (inclusive) at the time of intake/selection
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who have been granted refugee status in Canada
- Must be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Must not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefit
For more information, please see the Career Focus eligibility requirements